Shakespeare Connected - Discovering the Guild Chapel
Detail of angel bearing instruments of the Passion, above the chancel roof
The restoration of the chapel in 1804 included the insertion of a coved ceiling over the nave, effectively chopping Jesus’ head off! Today, just visible in the darkness of the roof space, are Jesus’ head and images of Angels bearing instruments of the Passion, which once formed the upper part of the Doom.
Image C./Courtesy of Perry Lithgow
Click the arrow to the right of the image to continue.